Label Whores

9 Oct

WARNING:  It’s not a personal attack on anyone in particular and really doesn’t have anything to do with people who make lots of money!

Obsessing over labels has never been much of an issue for me.  I could only assume it’s because I was not raised in a particularly well off family, but for that I am grateful.  I’ve learned to be able to tell the difference between a want and a need, even though I’ll admit, sometimes it’s hard.  But in the end I’ve always managed to get by making the right decisions.

Now, for the people a little more financially fortunate I can see where it’s totally normal for them to spend $300+ on a purse or on a pair of shoes (even though it makes little sense to me). Money spent is relative to the money that’s made, but what blows my mind are those that are struggling on a daily basis going above and beyond to be able to say they own a “Louis” or whatever other Foo Foo name is hot at the moment.  I’m not here to bash the labels themselves, because after all, it’s nice stuff…The clouded judgement some people have in regards to these labels thanks to our materialistic society is what I’m going after.

At the end of the day, is it really necessary to spend the majority or sometimes all of your money on something such as a purse?  A purse is something that’s meant for you to store your belongings in, and of course, your money.  But what is the point of having a purse if you have no money to store in it?  I personally used to work with someone who would complain every day about how she didn’t have enough money to buy diapers and food for her baby, and how she couldn’t afford anything more than what was on the dollar menu for lunch, yet every week she’d come in with a new fancy bag and super expensive shoes.  The worst part is that she’d brag about her new items and how much they cost.

REALLY?!!?!?!  You’re going to let your child starve and walk around in dirty diapers, but go and buy this crap that you don’t even need just to feel some sort of social validation?!?!  I don’t know if to be disgusted with society for making her think this way or just with her for being so weak!

What brand shoes, purse, jewelry, and/or clothes you wear does not define you.  You are no more and no less the person who you are inside with or without these material things.  How can some people think that in order to be cool they have to spend and exuberant amount of money on items that are nothing but a want?  The cutest part about it is that they could find these items for a fraction of the cost if they were just a little patient and shopped the right way (Outlets, Ebay and Craigslist are a girl’s best friend!).

I’m not trying to say that anyone is stupid for falling into the label trend, but I am saying that at the end of the day, you’re spending way more than what you really need to be spending on things that don’t really matter.  Instead of spending $500 on a purse, spend $85 and actually start a savings account with the difference. What about setting that money aside for your children or future children?  How about taking a little weekend getaway? Memories with those you love last way longer than any material thing.

We all have our opinions…It’s what makes the world go round, and this is mine.

That’s my rant of the day…I’m out!

-Emily

8 Responses to “Label Whores”

1. Muse Photos October 9, 2011 at 11:53 am #

So very true. I agree but I guess that’s why we are friends. I have never understood how having a brand on your clothing makes the outfit better but I’m just a hippy tree hugger what do I know…lol

2. emilyadamiani October 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I absolutely agree with this, 110%! You’ve gained a new follower! (And of course, it’s always nice to meet another ‘Emily’.) =)

• emilysixxrants October 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Aww Thank you so much! It’s nice to meet you too, girl with the coolest name in the world lol 😛

3. Andres Berrondo (@kryptonight83) October 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

My mom came to visit me recently with a growing desire to have a Coach purse. She wasn’t going to spend the millions of dollars it costs (I have no idea what the cost is), so she decided to get it in Chinatown. After a couple of walkthroughs and hidden passages later, my mom got her purse for $50. I know anyone who is a “label whore” would be in complete disgust buying such fake material, but the smile on my mother’s face can take a nice dump on any original Coach purse… and her dumps can range from $300 – $450 easily in the black market.

4. Loud Mind October 11, 2011 at 12:40 am #

You are absolutely right about that! that’s one thing that never made sense to me either. people like that always put their value in their possessions instead of themselves. sad!

5. Fristal Ann October 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

I would rather spend $100 on six purses than $300 on one purse. Everything I own is a knock off. A) I don’t have the money to waste and B) My dogs prefer to chew on the more expensive items that I own.

6. Unrelenting Amee October 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Sixx, great post!! I agree. My favorite part is about your former co-worker, what a perfect example. I used to work in a Starbucks, and this woman came in wearing head-to-toe labels, with her nose in the air, demanding an “Upside Down” Caramel Macchiato. Several times a week. Which was a double-negative, because by definition, they ARE upside-down already! We all had a good laugh about her.

Heck, when Sex and the City 2 came out, one of the biggest reasons it was criticized was the flagrant obsession with extravagance, wealth and labels during the Recession– when most of us are scraping by. It was marketed as an “escapist” fantasy of better economic times, but came off more like a slap in the face for many fans who can’t afford Manolos. I love Carrie & Co., but they are the ULTIMATE label whores! lol Thankfully, they have a lot of heart to make up for it.

But I challenge you, why are you afraid to take a strong stance on this? Why put “label whores” in the headline, and then a disclaimer immediately underneath? You threw the hammer down with precision when it came to a Conservative Man who riled you up– because it was an issue you’re passionate about. You did it brilliantly, and landed a new gig because of it. By taking a stronger stance, you may start a debate, or gain more followers than if you play it safe.

Don’t hold back– your voice soars when it’s full of fire!!